Thursday, February 18, 2010

{update}

{mmmmmmmmmm!}

So I thought it was time to give an update on my diet, since the beginning of this month
I've decided to try going Macrobiotic. It's definintly not easy... but I already feel like I am healthier!

I decided that I will take a few things that I've learned from Macrobiotics and return to a Vegan diet. I will continue to eat whole grains and lots of raw veggies, and I am totally cutting processed foods out of my diet - very important! I'm also going to continue buying all organic foods and sugar-free juices.

I went to the grocery store yesterday and realized that my local grocery isn't very accommodating to Vegans. Whole Foods is 30 minutes away from our loft, so I wanted to see what I could buy in town. After a lot of searching  I found some really good items -- one of them being... VEGAN ICE CREAM!!!!!!!

I love ice cream, so this will make the transition much easier. Also... I was able to find chips that were vegan and stocked up on bananas and lots of yummy natural juices.

I am excited to dive into this new lifestyle because.....

1. It's good for the environment
2. Extremely healthy (Weight loss, lower cholesterol and blood pressure)
3. Our current food industry is exploitive and cruel (see Food, Inc. it will change your life!)
4. Buddhism promotes Veganism, because we are all connected and therefore all lives are equal
5. It's a way to be creative with food & try new things!


{please send positive energy, vibes & thoughts our way...}

I also wanted to update all of you on some news that I recieved yesterday.
The first thing I thought was "Wow, what a coincidence - my blog yesterday was about giving!"
My godbrother is very sick and needs a kidney transplant. We have known about this for a while, and this will be his second. I was tested in June to donate and the results were good, but not optimal.

So yesterday I was sitting at my desk and got a phone call. I answered and it was MCV - Mitchell needs a kidney transplant and they want me to go in for re-testing. I am scheduled to go in for blood work next Wednesday and {fingers crossed} hopefully I will be a match.

He is such a strong and brave spirit and I want to do anything possible to make sure that he is able
to enjoy life to the fullest.

I took a deep breath and sat down with my boss to give her the news. To my surprise, she was extremely supportive and assured me that it's possible for me to do the surgery and still get paid while I'm recovering.

Recovery can be anywhere from 2-4 months, and I am hoping that I will still be able to work 1/2 days in the office and then 1/2 days at home doing the paper work.

This, of course, may put things on hold as far as my career change... but I think it's worth it and if everything falls into place I am confident that this is somthing I should do.

Please take some time next Wednesday to think positivley about Mitchell, his family, my family and myself.
We need all the good vibes we can get right now!

{thanks in advance!}

2 comments:

  1. How selfless of you to consider giving up a kidney. That is amazing. It is something i could say i would do for family, but when it came down to it i am not sure if i actually could. I am totally sending good vibes his way and that he finds a match quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know you are staying vegan and incorporating macrobiotics into your every day life! That is what I do! Keep studying the philosophy and don't be hard on yourself if you don't follow the standard macrobiotic diet. It's not about that anyways, the philosophy is the juicy stuff and eating whole foods. Are you still reading my blog?

    Good vibes for your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete

speak your mind! always!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...