Monday, June 07, 2010

love will always set you free.

This weekend was so. much. fun. I haven't felt so free and alive as I have over these past few days, and it's always a plus when you learn new things about yourself. I lived in my bathing suite. Made new friends. Spent time with old ones. Listened to some amazing and soul inspiring local music. And enjoyed the sunshine and simplicity that the James River is always sure to bring. We also grilled out every meal, and you must admit that all things taste better on the grill.

I haven't felt this way in a long, long time. I think the summer weather tends to bring out a side of me that is hidden in the winter. Do you ever feel that way? It made me think about summer vacation and high school and how I couldn't wait to grow up... yet I never wanted those days to end. Then I started looking through old pictures this morning, and how even though some things have changed so much - they also stay the same.

I love to be free. I am a free spirit floating around in corporate america. And I don't pretend that others always understand me. I don't always understand them. But I was inspired yesterday when my friend was talking about happiness and money and how he just wanted enough to get by and be happy. Finally. Some one who gets it. Some one who is totally free doesn't always think about putting money into the equation. Because money doesn't equal happiness and it certainly doesn't make you free. Freedom always tends to come when surrounded by those you love. Those you can be yourself around without apologizing. The people in your life who make you better. And simple things like losing yourself in nature and forgetting that each moment is passing and we are quickly growing up. Because I like to imagine that I will be young forever. And I think that maybe sometimes that's perfectly ok.

So today... I give you some of my very own oldies but goodies:


“Something about her eyes or voice has always suggested the hint of a free spirit, trapped in a Peck & Peck cage, dreaming of making rude noises at public gatherings of Republicans.”
Jeff Greenfield.


1 comment:

  1. I also had a magical weekend, Chilling in the park with my sister and our friends. The summer defiantly brings out the more chilled me.
    Glad you had fun too
    :)

    ReplyDelete

speak your mind! always!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...