Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rainy Day...

I should've studied meteorology rather than social work. Last night, Sean & I had date night at Baja Bean Co. {amazzzzing!} and around 7:00 p.m. I got a splitting headache. Not a migraine, but rather one that made me scream "hurry up and storm already!!!!" 12 hours later.... around 7 a.m. it started pouring down rain. About an hour later it started thundering. Ughh... it feels good to be right, but if only there were another way! Does this happen to anyone else? I'm sure it does!

Anyway.... this month has been overwhelming to say the least. Work has been super crazy and clients are coming out of the woodwork left and right. I'm still trying to get my application ready for Grad. School. I've also done a lot of thinking and re-evaluating and realized some things in my life that need to change dramatically. One thing in particular is that I am getting pretty tired of being what feels like the only liberal in Richmond City, minus Sean. And in order to hold this position, people tend to badger you and mock you and pretty much force you to defend your beliefs on a near constant basis. It makes me want to move far, far away... California or Washington State to be exact.

But for now..... Charlottesville will do just fine :)

I am so excited to visit one of my best friends from college, Denise, and her adorable husband Stuart this weekend. We always have a good time together, and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that we have so much in common. Not everything, but just enough to make it easy to block out the world and have our own little pow-wow about how things should be! Trust me.... our list is long.

Aside from our inevitable "If I could change the world" session, I am also really looking forward to the fall festivities we've been planning.....

I am treating myself tomorrow morning to this - these are my newest obsession.

I am also treating myself to these {because quite frankly, I deserve them!}

I am finally ordering my Halloween costume - this, this and this

Denise and I are going here for apples, pumpkins, donuts & wine

Seeing Ingrid Michaelson l.i.v.e.

Stuffing our faces here and here 
{and also looking forward to Denise's awesome cooking for dinner tomorrow night!!!!!}

and best of all......


In honor of Halloween, we're having a seance!


Scary, I know -- we'll see who cries first!


Can't wait to show you pictures on Monday...... :)

5 comments:

  1. Kara- Come to Portland, Maine!! (or at least visit) As much as I love VA, it is definitely easier to be a liberal here. :) oh yes and...I love Ingrid Michealson! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to pow-wow! It is much, much needed. It warmed me heart to see that you put Charlottesville links on your blog! :) :) I can't wait to freak ourselves out in the cemetery!

    And I've got excellent news for you.. that place that sells the Buddhas is going out of business and they're having a HUGE sale!!! :)

    I wish everyone in this world could be as open-minded and loving as you. Being liberal isn't a bad thing and don't forget it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. INGRID. oh, i love her. <3

    i can be liberal when it comes to certain things (like equality, being against the death penalty, and the environment), but i'm also a bit on the conservative side about certain things, too. my views and opinions evolve so much as i get older. honestly, i wish there was a place where conservatives and liberals and everyone in between could all mesh together and live in peace and harmony and respect each other's opinions and just love each other. i really dislike how people fight all the time and are so prejudice towards others just because their beliefs/opinions are different. it makes me sad when i hear people call others stupid, lame, and ridiculous just because they think of something in a different way. and i hate that so many of us have to CONSTANTLY be defensive about what we believe in, and what we choose to support/not support. it shouldn't be like that at all. we should be free to think whatever we want, you know? that is what america is supposed to be about... a place of freedom. a place where everyone, from all walks of life, are welcomed.

    i think maybe that's one of the reasons why i love being from california. while it IS quite liberal in parts, it's also kind of a great big melting pot here... conservatives, liberals, hippies, activists, patriots, christians, buddhists, catholics, gays and lesbians and heterosexuals, you name it. there's such an eclectic, laidback vibe in this state, i honestly think you would really love living here! :)

    have SO much fun with your friends, sweet girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh Kelly Ann THIS is what i love about you!!! i don't have a problem with conservatives, per se, but i DO have a problem with people who are not for equality... and those are the kind of people who typically push their views on others and make me constantly defend why i believe the things that i do {in my experience}. two of my best friends are conservative, one of them socially conservative, and the reason we can look past politics is because we choose to NOT BRING IT UP. and when we do bring it up... we aren't trying to hurt eachother in the process; we are just talking and thinking together. you aren't going to change a persons mind about abortion/religion/death penalty/gay rights..... so you can talk about it, but not with the idea that you're going to change the persons thinking.

    i think i'm just going through a quarter-life crisis and i need a change of scenery. virginia, especially richmond, is pretty conservative. i like having different people together, and sometimes i need some one else on my side so that i dont feel so attacked. it's nice having friends who are different, but not ALL of them!

    we have family in LA and my friend just got back from san francisco and it's made me want to sit down and figure out/plan a vacation.... if we decide to visit i will def. get your opinion on places to see!

    thanks for the always encouraging words and have a great great weekend yourself, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SO agree with you and Kelly Ann! It's exhausting feeling the only remotely liberal person around and since my boyfriend and I moved to Wyoming this summer it's 1,000 times worse. Most conservative state in the country...ugh.

    It just doesn't make sense that people are so hell-bent on voting for one party or another; people just need to take the time to really learn about all these issues they're so adamant about and the country would be so much more peaceful. Like Kelly Ann, I'm super liberal about some things, like equal rights and the death penalty, but really conservative about other issues. Thinking about it really makes me miss living in Oregon, where people were raised with real, down-to-earth values, but openminded enough to be compassionate and proactive.

    Anyways, loved this post and I love the comments on it!

    ReplyDelete

speak your mind! always!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...