Saturday, April 02, 2011

A 10k, and thoughts on solitude.

I don't normally blog on the weekends, because I stay pretty busy hanging out with my friends and usually enjoy the time away from the computer. However, tonight I'm taking a small break from the 'celebrations' and I'm pretty surprised at how much is blocked from my work computer and how much easier it is to blog from home. For instance, I can't even upload pics at work without first hosting them onto another website (really annoying). Also, videos are kind of out of the question, because I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out how to jump through those hoops... yet. So, in honor of being at home on a normal computer, I thought I'd show you a little promo video that I just found on the Sportsbackers website (they fund the 10k I participated in today).

 

 As I've said time and time again, I'm a sucker for anything that brings a community together. As corney as this may sound... I almost got teary-eyed this morning when I looked around at the 40,000 other participants and hundreds more along the streets cheering us all on. It was pretty cool. 

Our community does a Monument Ave 10k every year, and I missed it last year but participated the year before and remembered having a complete and total blast. It's 6.3 miles up and down our (very famous) Monument Avenue and the streets are lined with local bands, cheerleaders, and different groups in our community handing out water and cheering for the runners at the top of their lungs. 

This year, I signed up with Sean and both of our dad's. I had been running a little in the gym (ok... a lot), but the plan was to all stick together and walk the entire race. Well turns out, David (my father in law) had other plans. At the starting line he started jogging through the crowd, and I followed because I figured he was just trying to get to an open space for us to all walk side by side. Well... he kept jogging and I had to make an instant decision to either wait for Sean and my dad, or try and keep up with David. I decided to follow.. because first of all I knew they wouldn't mind, and second of all... I thought it would be cool to spend some time with David one on one.

I made the right decision. It was really, really cool jogging and walking and bonding with David... and I couldn't believe how fast he can run! He really pushed me, and as I crossed the finish line (in an hour and a half!) it felt really, really good to know that I gave it 110%. Also, you have no idea how big of an ego boost it was to start out in the last heat and finish 3 heats up -- we literally passed several hundred people, talk about runner's high! It was also great to talk to Sean about how much he enjoyed walking and talking with my dad. All in all,  I feel like it made our family tighter than it already was... which is so awesome!

After the race, I felt like my legs were going to fall right off. My upper thighs are still really sore, but a good sore -- the kind that makes me want to start running long distances like this more often. We all ate lunch at Sine's (which really is the best place to eat in the city) and it was cool to see Shockoe Bottom all decked out for the VCU game tonight. Yet another heartwarming moment, thinking about how a college basketball team has really pulled our city together. Love it :)

Well, we came home and showered and I took a small nap. Sean decided to go out and I......... well, I decided to stay in and watch trashy reality television snuggled up with my pups. It's just that I've been on the go for so many weekends straight, and I had forgotten what it's like to be by myself. I think that deep deep down, I need time to myself to 're-charge', and while I don't consider myself an introvert... I do realize that my body needs time in solitude every once in a while, especially since it's been go go go go go lately. And, I've really had a nice time with myself tonight... obsessing over youtube video's and watching Happy Feet. I'm trying to decide if I want to watch The Human Centipede tonight or not, mostly because I'm home alone and I don't want to get too freaked out. But if and when I watch this, you can bet on a 'Movie Review'.... I've heard this movie is completely disgusting and my friend told me she couldn't eat meat for a few days after. Interesting.

I'll leave you on a brighter note. I was looking through some of my favorite blogs today, and Mucho Mucho Bueno Bueno put up a really cool video that really made me miss my dreads.

Agreed... this girl is absolutely gorgeous and could probably pull anything off, but I really think her dreads are perfect! (she also makes me really want a cool/sexy accent...)


I also got creepily obsessed with this girl. She seems like such a cool person, and again... pretty dreads  (so sad she took them out!) and a damn cool accent!


I hope you're having a wonderful weekend, and taking time to be with yourself and rest your body!
(I'm online shopping in my pj's... doesn't really get much better)
xx






No comments:

Post a Comment

speak your mind! always!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...