Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Movie Review x2

Image Hosting

This weekend was awesome, because I spent the majority of Saturday evening and Sunday watching movies. My favorite thing to do is bundle up in my pj's, a huge comforter, and snuggle up with my pups on the couch for a movie marathon. I can be there for 7 hours, and still feel like time has been well spent.

I've been begging Sean to watch The Human Centipede for months and months and months. Something about the overall weirdness and grossness of it all, but I was too chicken to watch it by myself. Finally, after begging and begging, Sean gave in. There isn't much to say about this film, other than the fact that the embarrassingly poor acting was somehow overshadowed by the constant knot in my stomach. It was so gross, that I literally gagged/dry heaved at one point and almost had to excuse myself to throw up. I do not recommend this movie to anyone with a weak stomach... and please don't watch it while eating dinner, like we did. There's a Second Sequence coming out, and I'll probably end up watching it for the same reason as the First Sequence -- curiosity.

To make up for it, we watched an older movie (2009) that I hadn't seen before called Law Abiding Citizen. I was really blown away by how good this movie is, and not just because I studied Criminal Justice in college. This film is about a man whose family has been murdered, and one of the killers is 'let off' with a plea bargain. As you may have already guessed, this man (who has nothing else to loose) takes matters into his own hands and exposes the Justice System for what it really is - politics and deal making. I was on the edge of my seat for the full 108 minutes, and was totally blown away by the  ending. If you haven't seen it yet, you must!

I also watched a few 'Classics' over the weekend, aka movies I could watch over and over and over again. The first was Eat, Pray, Love (Sean wasn't nearly as impressed), which I love because it reminds me to enjoy the moment and really get everything you can out of life. My favorite part of the movie is when Liz Gilbert and her friend from Italy are eating pizza and talking about body image.

I love when she says ''Let me ask you something, in all the years that you have...undressed in front of a gentleman has he ever asked you to leave? Has he ever walked out and left? No? It's because he doesn't care! He's in a room with a naked girl, he just won the lottery. I am so tired of saying no, waking up in the morning and recalling every single thing I ate the day before, counting every calorie I consumed so I know just how much self loathing to take into the shower. I'm going for it. I have no interest in being obese, I'm just through with the guilt. So this is what I'm going to do, I'm going to finish this pizza, and then we are going to go watch the soccer game, and tomorrow we are going to go on a little date and buy ourselves some bigger jeans." Every time I hear her say these words, I smile because it's as if she's talking directly to me.

The other movie I watched, again, is Avatar (another 2009 film). Let me just say, anything James Cameron writes and directs is going to take your breath away (For example, Titanic). But honestly, what better 'tree hugger' movie is there? Every time I watch this, I get sad because #1 Pandora doesn't exist.... and #2, if it did exist, I'm sure we'd destroy it just like we have our own environment. I love the constant references to the connection the natives have with nature, and the imagery could not have been done better. I feel like it's the 'grown up' version of Fern Gully, one of my all time favorite movies growing up!

Speaking of really great movies -- has anyone seen the trailer for Water for Elephants? I can't wait to see this film, because I have this weird obsession/curiosity with circus life... embarrassingly, this is why I listened to the Something Corporate song Walking By on repeat all throughout college. Ahhh, memories.

What are you watching? Any recommendations?


1 comment:

  1. ewww i had to google the human centipede and felt sick just reading it :(
    i wont be watching that!

    eat pray love i have by my dvd ready to watch :)

    ReplyDelete

speak your mind! always!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...