Friday, January 29, 2010

{Saying Goodbye}



Rest in Peace Desmond -- You are missed already more than you know friend.

I am currently reading a book called The Heart of Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh {huuuuge fan of his btw} and came across a passage that gave me some peace on the idea of death, somthing I have never been good at understanding or dealing with.

The passage is this: "A wave can be recognized by signs - high or low, beginning or ending, beautiful or ugly. But in the world of the water, there are no signs. In the world of relative truth, the wave feels happy as she swells, and she feels sad when she falls. She may think "I am high," or "I am low," and develop a superiority or inferiority complex. But when the wave touches her true nature - which is water - all her complexes will cease, and she will transcend birth and death."

He goes on to say: "If we look deeply, we will know that we have never been born and we will never die. A wave is born and dies, is higher or lower, more or less beautiful. But you cannot apply these notions to water. When we see this, our fear will suddenly vanish."

For some reason those passages give me a sense of peace. Thinking about a dear friend who has passed away and comparing him to a wave rising and falling does not seem scary or sad or confusing. Wherever he is, I hope he is also happy and at peace. We love and miss you dearly, Dez. Rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. 'The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching' is the clearest book on Buddhism I have ever read, I have read it several times (there are times when I read from it that I actually think I get it *LOL*)

    ReplyDelete

speak your mind! always!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...